★★★★★ Cooking time: 76 minutes, Preparation: 15 minutes + Hot Cook: 61 minutes
Paella can also be made deliciously in a Hot-Cook. The ingredients you definitely want to use are scallions and scallops. You can taste the umami of delicious seafood. This dish looks gorgeous and makes you happy even before you eat it. It is an authentic paella that is easier and simpler to make than you might think!
Paella is a popular dish representing Spain. It is a staple of Spanish cuisine in which rice and chicken are sauteed in olive oil and cooked in a delicious broth made from vegetables, seafood, and other ingredients.
When I traveled to Barcelona in Spain as a student many years ago, I still vividly remember the taste of paella I had at one of the restaurants along the coast. And the beer I had with it was just as good!
High-end paella uses ingredients such as lobster, white fish such as sea bream, and mussels.
But even if you don’t use such high-end ingredients, the Hot-Cook can make paella many times easier, with good taste, and at a reasonable cost.
Even so, there are two ingredients that you must use for paella.
They are scallions and scallops.
Both of these ingredients bring out the delicious flavor of the paella by infusing the broth with their delicious umami flavor.
You can use a frozen seafood mix for seafood other than scallions and scallops.
Even if scallions and scallops are already included in the frozen seafood mix, you will want to purchase these two additional ingredients separately for a better taste.
Cooking in the Hot-Cook is done in two phases.
Phase 1: Stir-fry rice in the Hot-Cook (time: approx. 1 minute)
Phase 2: Cook rice in the Hot-Cook (time: about 1 hour)
The rice used in the first step is so-called “no-rinse” rice (musen mai). Of course, regular rice can also be used, but be aware that it takes a little more time, and the amount of water used will vary.
Phase 2 is best done using the Hot Cook menu “Ikameshi”function.
Let’s take a closer look at how to make it!
WHAT IS HOT COOK？
Hot Cook is Japanese popular cookware, waterless automatic cooking pot series, made by SHARP. Just put the ingredients in the pot and press the switch to automatically prepare a variety of dishes.
HOT COOK 1.6L size (for 2-4 people), Latest model with a fluorine-coated inner pot
This article introduces recipes using the Hot Cook, which has become an indispensable part of our home.
Hot Cook Recipe [Paella] One Point Advice
- The amount of “salt” to be added to the pot at the end is about 0.6% of the weight of all ingredients + water.
For this paella, with the following ingredients and amount of water, the weight of all ingredients will be about 1000g, so about 5.5g-6.0g of salt will be fine.
- The following preparations will help make the cooking process easier.
1) Remove sand from the scallion
2) Thaw and drain the frozen seafood mix.
3) If using regular rice, rinse and drain the rice.
4) If using saffron, add an appropriate amount to the water.*How to remove sand from clamsTo remove the sand, wash the clams in water by rubbing them together with both hands, and then soak them in a bowl of 3% salt water for about one hour. After one hour, lightly rinse the clams in the water again and leave them in the water for 30 minutes to finish removing the sand.
Hot Cook Recipe [Paella] Ingredients: 2-4 people
◆Ingredients for the phase 1
- No-rinse rice: Two cups (300g) *If using regular rice, rinse it under cold water and open it in a colander to remove water.
- Onion: 1/2 piece (about 100g) *Chopped
- Chicken thigh meat: 8 slices (bite-sized)
- Garlic: 1 teaspoon *Minced
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning chicken): a pinch
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
◆Ingredients for the phase 2
- Scallions: 8 pieces; remove sand from the scallion
- Scallops: 4 pieces, cut in half
- Frozen seafood mix (shrimp, squid, scallops, etc.): 100-150g *Thaw and drain.
- Red bell pepper: 1/2 piece, cut into 1-2 cm cubes
- Yellow bell pepper: 1/2 piece, cut into 1-2 cm cubes
- Cherry tomatoes: 6 pieces, cut in half
- Saffron: a little saffron *you don’t need to add saffron.
- Water: 230 ml for no-rinse rice <210 ml for regular rice>
- Salt: about 5.5-6.0g *0.6% of the weight of (ingredients + water)
Hot Cook Recipe [Paella] How to make
◆Preparation of phase 1
- Prepare 2 cups of no-rinse rice. Rinse under cold water for regular rice and open in a colander to drain.
- Coarsely chop the onion.
- Cut chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
◆Preparation of phase 2
- Prepare sand-dried scallions.
- Cut scallops in half.
- Thaw frozen seafood mix and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes.
- Prepare saffron in water.
For washed rice: 230 ml *For regular rice: 210 ml
Phase 1: Fry rice in Hot-Cook (about 1 minute)
- First, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan.
- Next, add the chicken, skin side down.
- Place chopped onion on top of chicken.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Finally, add 2 cups of no-rinse rice on top.
＊In phase 1, no water is added.
Make manually => Fry => Set cooking time to “1 minute” => Start
When you hear the finishing chime, open the lid, and remove the pot once, being careful not to burn yourself.
Phase 2: Cook in the Hot-Cook (about 1 hour)
- Add more ingredients to the pot that has been prepared in phase 1.
- First, scallions, scallops, and seafood mix are added.
- Next, add red and yellow peppers and cherry tomatoes.
- Add saffron and 230 ml of water to the pot. （210 ml for regular rice)
- Finally, add about 5.5 g of salt.
Select a menu => Search by category => Stew => Rice => Ikameshi => Start cooking => Start
If you are using a new model Hot-Cook
Select a menu => Search by menu number =>
No.020 (Ikameshi) => Start cooking => Start
When you hear the finishing chime, open the lid, and place it in a bowl to serve.
You can either eat it directly from the pot or mix it lightly with a wooden spoon and serve it in a bowl.
It is also delicious with a light sprinkling of lemon juice.
This paella is a perfect dish infused with the umami flavor of seafood!
HOTCOOK 1.6L size (for 2-4 people), Latest model with a fluorine-coated inner pot
HOTCOOK 2.4L size (for 2-6 people), Latest model with a fluorine-coated inner pot